Sunday, September 9, 2012

Foundations



Something that has been on my mind a great deal recently is the idea of foundations.  The foundation of good public education is good teachers; the foundation of a good healthcare system is a strong doctor-patient relationship; the foundation of strong small businesses is fiscal responsibility; and as I’ve met with many people in District 8, I’ve been impressed more and more that the foundation of our society is families. Truly, nothing is more crucial to good society than strong families--in every form they take--producing good, contributing citizens.


So naturally, one of the most important commitments a candidate for state office can offer is to strengthen families. When families succeed, people succeed, and those people go on to solve problems they encounter in the world around them.

My campaign’s three primary focuses--affordable, bipartisan healthcare reform, improving public education, and providing strong support for small businesses--all serve to help families succeed.  I know this because these have all helped and blessed my family.

My wife, Joye, and I have been married for thirty years. She is the foundation of our family, and I owe my happiness and the happiness of our family to her. Together, we’ve raised our four children here in Utah and we can say enthusiastically that truly, ‘this is the place’. When we married, we faced the  uncertainties faced by all families--we didn’t know where work and child-rearing would take us, or what struggles we might face along the way.  Fortunately, we have been able to raise our family in Utah. Our children all attended public high schools in Salt Lake City.  Because of good teachers and good administrators, they were well prepared to enter college and begin pursuing the careers of their choice. Utah’s business-friendly environment has fostered a climate that gives them confidence in being able to find jobs and provide for their own families.  And through all of this, our high-quality healthcare system has kept them healthy and fit for the daily challenges of life.  Nothing has been so rewarding as to raise our children together in this great State, and that’s a feeling we share with so many great people in SD8.

But, these three systems--healthcare, education, and small business--require responsible stewardship.  The families of Utah deserve a government that will help public schools, hospitals, and businesses to better serve those who need and use them.  As a candidate to represent you and yours on Capitol Hill, you have my promise that I will always represent you effectively.  Your interests will be my interests. I will fight to make sure that your family’s needs are a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment