Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Utah's Patient Advocate on the Hill

As many of you know by now, I have been serving our community as an Emergency Department physician for the past 20 years. Each day I have the opportunity to treat those who are sick or injured and work with them to improve their health and get them feeling better. 

As an Emergency Department physician my first and only priority is to help people get better. Each day I treat patients from all walks of life and from all social and economic backgrounds. I have firsthand knowledge and experience of the issues they face – not just with their health, but in trying to afford health care as well. I have seen too many instances where people have put off treatment – only to have their condition worsen – because they have been afraid of how much it would cost them to get better. 

That is why I have been actively engaged the past few years as a Patient Advocate up on Capitol Hill. As a physician, I am committed to helping patients improve their health. As an individual, I am committed to helping all of us receive more affordable healthcare. No one should have to put their health - and their family – in danger because of fear of the costs attributed with treatment. We can do better – we have done better –and we will continue to improve. 

 Recently, I have served as the President of the Utah Medical Association. This past session I worked tirelessly to see laws passed that truly advocated for patients. In fact, the last piece of legislation that was passed protects patients who struggle to pay for medications. 

As a physician, I prescribe medications that help to improve the health of my patients. However, studies show that a large portion of the prescriptions that physicians write are not filled, because patients cannot afford them. Too often, patients are faced with the dilemma of either paying for food or purchasing their prescriptions. This should not be the case! 

This past session I helped to pass legislation that puts patients first. Under our old law, doctors were only allowed to give up to 3 days of samples of medications to patients to improve their health. It was my great pleasure to advocate for patients in seeing the law change so doctors can now give free samples to patients for up to 30 days! Now, patients no longer have to face the difficult position of choosing between food and potentially life-saving medications. I helped to pass legislation that makes healthcare more affordable, saves patients’ money, and has the potential to save lives! 

My pledge to you is that I will continue to be a Patient Advocate on the Hill. All of us have been or will be patients. I will do all I can to ensure that you and I receive affordable healthcare. I have many innovative ideas that I will take to the legislature to improve our health care system. They include: 
• Increasing Patient Accessibility 
• Improving Healthcare Quality 
• Reforming Medical Liability 
• Improving and Reforming Medicaid 
• Lowering Healthcare Costs 

I personally have been blessed to work in the Emergency Department for over twenty years. I am grateful to treat patients, whoever they are, wherever they are from, to work hard and do the very best job I can. As a physician I recognize that I do not know everything but I act with patients' welfare in mind and in good faith. I am grateful to advocate for patients in the Emergency Department and will continue to do so at the State Legislature.

No comments:

Post a Comment