Saturday, September 22, 2012

Utah's Jobless Rate

Interpreting and attributing Utah’s jobless rate falling to 5.8% can be complicated, but one thing is clear: Utah is doing something right.  Governor Herbert calls it ‘wise economic stewardship and fiscal prudence’.  I agree, but will add that there is indeed something special about the people here in Utah.  I’ve lived in other parts of the country, and I’m impressed that there’s a special spirit of hard work, responsibility, and innovation in this state.  

Still, 5.8% is not something we should settle for.  Putting Utahns back to work is a priority for me.  

I’m an avid reader, and I stumbled across an interesting quote recently in a novel.  Two men are riding in a train out in the old American west, reflecting on their condition and their fare in life.  One expresses his regret at moving his family to the area.  He  was seeking opportunity, leaving behind a job that didn’t challenge or satisfy him.  He remarks, “I wasn’t makin’ anything back there, just working sunup to sundown on the farm.”  His friend replies “It will be the same here.  Wherever a man is, there is work to do.  That’s the very best part.”  

This response startles him, and he asks “The very best part?” His wise friend affirms, “The very best part.  My friend, there is a Hell.  It’s when a man has a family to support, has his health, and is ready to work, and there is no work to do.  When he stands with empty hands and sees his children going hungry, his wife without the things to do with.  I hope you never have to try it”.

I am not blind to the struggles that many Utahns have faced during this Great Recession--I see them everyday.  I treat them in the ER when they have lost their insurance from their employer and when they can’t afford to go anywhere else for healthcare.  I care deeply for these people, and I have solutions that will help create more jobs for Utahns.  

By electing me, you have the opportunity to be represented by a Senator with experience in healthcare and small business, a Senator who will always listen and respond and have a dialogue with you.  Vote Brian Shiozawa on Nov. 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment